Find my Patterns on PatternMart

PatternMart.com

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What cha working on Wednesday????

So, I know I promised to post yesterday, but some things just are outside of my control.  I did take some pictures of some of my holiday decor.  This is my favorite piece of furniture in my whole house, my Hoosier cabinet.
I know that the pic isn't the greatest, but over the years, I have collected nearly 400 Santas, santa ornaments, and decorations referencing Santa.  I always fill my Hoosier with them as well as my curio, my shelves, my window sills, etc.  I will work on better pics for the next post.

Now, for that craft idea.  Many of you know that I love to shop at Dollar Tree.  Well I found these bags of 6 candy canes there.

Next, I tore muslin into strips about 3/4" wide and wrapped it around the cane.  In the opposite direction, I wrapped red ribbon.  You could use green or any other color, or use a check (like I did) stripe, etc.  Be creative.  Then embellish!  I tied on a string or cord hanger too.

As a tradition, I gift each of my children and grandchildren an ornament each year.  My mom used to do it for my kids.  She always said that when your child became an adult and moved out, they would have a memorable start to their own tree.  These little ornaments can do double duty.  I attached a key tag that you can find in any office supply store and wrote the name and year (one on each side) on the tag.  These can be placed on their dinner plate as a place holder as well.

There can be a lot of variations to this simple craft.  You can tea stain the muslin and tag for a more rustic look.  Instead of ribbon, you can use narrow strips of fabric.  You can use a spray adhesive and add glitter (or brush on mod podge).  I just wouldn't place a glitter ornament on a dinner plate.  You can use metallic fabric and ribbons to add a bit of glitz.  You could glue on beads, sequins, etc.  In other words, GET CREATIVE! 

Lastly, I finally got a link from Colorado's Best so if you missed my segment here it is: 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, a thought, or a giggle!