Find my Patterns on PatternMart

PatternMart.com

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thrifty Thursday

So today, being Thrifty Thursday, I decided to finish up some re-usable gift tags that I made.  I got this idea from Pinterest.  The back side is painted with chalkboard paint, so you can erase and use year after year. 
You start with these little wooden circular discs.  Before you paint, drill a hole in the top for a hanger.

Paint one side of the disc your favorite shade of snow.  When dry, flip it over and paint the back side.  Don't forget to paint the sides.  You could do them either in the white or in the chalkboard shade.  There are different chalkboard paint shades.  I just happened to have some black, but you could use gray, red, etc.  The chalkboard paint will require multiple coats.  You want total coverage but you need to let it thoroughly dry between coats.   After both sides are dry, paint on the faces.  I think this is the fun part.  I used a marker for the mouths and dotted the eyes with black paint and used a Canyon Orange shade for the nose. 
For the hanger, I simply used all six strands of embroidery floss.  The holes are small so I just threaded the floss onto a large needle and poked it through.  When you are painting multiple coats of paint, sometimes the holes get painted shut so the needle opens it back up.  I then blushed the cheeks with regular blush.  I think these are a really fun idea and will be great for your craft shows.
I am setting up for the Friends of the Littleton Library Craft Show tomorrow and the show runs from 9-4 on Saturday.  They are predicting snow, but oh, well, maybe that will put shoppers in the mood.  So since I won't be posting for a couple of days, I want to share another ornament that I finished up yesterday.

These little guys are from a pattern from the Olde Country Cupboard.  I had actually sewn this quite a while back, so I had to finish stuffing them, painted their paws, bellies, and neck and sewed on the eyes and collars.  I think these are really cute and I can even see them in a centerpiece, on a mantle, or nestled in a Santa display.
Come see me Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, a thought, or a giggle!