Find my Patterns on PatternMart

PatternMart.com

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Happy Tuesday!

I know I haven't been great at posting lately but sometimes life just gets in the way, doesn't it?  While I was out shopping on Friday, hubby got laid off, so it has been a bit solemn around here lately.  But what is more theraputic than crafting???  So on Saturday, my granddaughter Skylar, came over to craft with me.
She loves my kitty.  She painted and I worked on candles.

So while I am on this topic, let me tell you how to make these easy, peasy, lemon squeezy candles.  First go to your dollar store or Wally world.  The small jar candles are $1.  I like the ones at Walmart a little better....just a better selection of scents.  (and the labels come off easier)  Take the labels off and tear strips of homespun a little over an inch wide and about seven inches long.  Use hot glue to adhere to jar.  Wrap raffia (the ones I saw online had jute instead of raffia) around the jars two or three times.  Tie in a knot and cut ends off to about an inch in length.  Just be gentle here because the raffia will break if you tie too tightly.  Then glue on an adornment.  I used rusty stars.  The hot glue will hold the knot in place too.  I used some of the small stained labels that I showed you how to make a while back and used my single letter stamps to stamp on the words.  I made up some of the names:  Like the one I called Clean Sheets was originally called Fresh Cotton.  Just use your imagination.  I also put a little spot of hot glue on the jar where I knotted the tag on.  I was just afraid that when I take these to a craft show, the tags will slide off when people open them to smell them.  I think these are so freakin' cute, don't you?!?!

I also picked up more of the little night lights.  I have been practicing at dipping them in the silicone and through trial and error, I have found that for me, adding a tiny bit of oil paint in brown gives it the desired color.  And it seemed like my silicone was too thick so I added some mineral spirits.  They turned out so much better than my first batch!
I guess practice does make perfect.  I also found some battery operated candles at GoodWill.  They look really cheap (they were!) so I am working on grunging them up.  When I get them finished I will let you in on how I did it....I am trying a couple of different things.
You can see a couple of the tea lights that I am also trying to grunge. 
The dollar store is such a great place to get craft supplies.  Just don't limit your search to the craft aisle.  I found some great little favor buckets in the bridal area.  I plan to paint them and use them for ornaments.  And at just three buckets for $1, how could you go wrong? 
Well, off now for a little more crafting, my friends.  Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, a thought, or a giggle!