Find my Patterns on PatternMart

PatternMart.com

Saturday, July 1, 2017

Glittery Reindeer

I was lucky enough to find three large paper mache' reindeer at the thrift store.  I got all three for $3.95 and was really excited to see that the price tags were still on them......$5.99 each!  I have had them around for a while, trying to decide what to do with them.  To me, paper mache' is not the best surface to paint on, so what 'cha think?  Glitter, of course!


I took them outside to spray paint them white.  It gets a bit tricky, because these are not flat surfaces.  I had to spray, let dry, turn, repeat.  


After the deer were dry, I gathered up the rest of my supplies, ModPodge, glitter, paintbrush, and a parts sorter.  I used a very coarse white glitter....I am obsessed with this stuff.....and an old paintbrush. 


  If you don't have a parts sorter, you can use paper or a cookie sheet or whatever to catch the glitter.  And if you don't have one, get one!  I love this thing for catching and recycling glitter.  There is even a little spout for pouring back in your jar.  You can get them at Harbor Freight for a couple of bucks.



The glittering had to be done in stages, as well.  I would paint on the mod podge, glitter, and move to another section.  The modpodge will dry pretty quickly so do small sections.  And use it generously, not so much that you have globs of the glue but enough that your glitter will stick to it.  I laid this one on its side to be sure to get the inside of the legs, the belly, and under the chin.

\
 I took the glittered deer inside to dry.  When completely dry, put on another layer of modpodge.  I water mine down ever so slightly because you do not want this layer to glob or run.  You also don't need to apply it as heavily.  This layer basically anchors the glitter in place.

 When completely dry.....I waited until the following day.....add your embellishment.  I had this beautiful ribbon, enough for all three pieces.
I think it really turned out elegant, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, a thought, or a giggle!