Find my Patterns on PatternMart

PatternMart.com

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Tuesday Tutorial

 Okay, as promised, here is the Tuesday tutorial, even though it is Wednesday. 

To make a beautiful wreath, to use either as a lighted centerpiece, a mantle decoration, or a door hanging, you will need some ribbon, one of those green foam floral wreaths, a small string of lights, and some assorted Christmas balls, bells, floral, etc.

Start by wrapping your ribbon around the wreath.  I get my floral wreaths at Dollar Tree, for, you guessed it, $1.  I used some leftover ribbon that I had but if you don't have a stash like I do, shop the dollar stores or use a coupon for either Michael's or Hobby Lobby.  You could even use a non-raveling fabric like fleece or felt cut into strips.
Either pin or glue the ends once you are finished wrapping the wreath.  Don't use hot glue....no, no, no!
I used a strand of 20 lights and wrapped around the top and the inside of the wreath.  Use wires or pins to hold in place.  You do not want to wrap the wreath on the underside or it won't lay flat.  Then take your balls, bells, etc and start filling in.  I start with the largest balls and put them on first and then fill in with small balls, bells, and even some floral picks.  Your goal is coverage withoug burying your lights.  I hot glue my ornies on, but if you want you can use t-pins or wire. 
I think it is best to decide before you start on a color scheme.  I chose gold and red, but you could use gold and silver, blue and purple, red and pink, etc, etc.  Oh, I always take the hangers off the ornaments before glueing them on. 
I like my wreath on a table top.  Here I am showing it displayed with one of my frosted jars.  You can use a jar candle, candlesticks, a vase with flowers, etc.  The possibilities are endless.
I put a bow on one end, so if I want to hang on the wall, it will look like a regular wreath.  Here are a couple of hints:
  1. Don't make it too matchy, matchy.  In other words, make it interesting.  Change up sizes and textures.
  2. Some of my red balls were found at a garage sale and there were a few little nicks or scratches.  To hide, spray a little adhesive on the whole wreath and lightly dust with glitter. 
  3. Cover glue globs with small bells or floral leaves.
  4. If you have a bunch of glue strings, use a hair dryer on a low speed.  It will blow them away and give you a more polished look.
Thanks for your patience, my friends.  Follow my blog so you don't miss out on upcoming tutorials!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, a thought, or a giggle!