Find my Patterns on PatternMart

PatternMart.com

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What 'cha workin' on Wednesday????

Hello, my bloggie friends.  I have been working on some ornaments.  I have to admit, they are not quite my own design, but well, kinda.  I downloaded a free ornament pattern for these santa and snowman ornies.  They were really primitive, hand sewn, and just not for me.  So I used the basic shapes of the hats, faces, etc. but sewed most on the machine, gave some extra trim and texture, and new faces.  Made mostly of felt, the edges don't have to be finished, except for the santa hats.  I didn't have any felt, so I used flannel and had to finish the seams.

Still working on my Scottie dogs, I found this funky felt at the craft store.  What 'cha think?

So, here's the thing.  If you are just making ornaments that get taken out once a year, it's fine to buy the cheap craft felt.  That way you can get a whole bunch of colors and patterns for not much money.  But if you do alot of one color (I use loads of black and off white) buy it on sale by the yard.  You can usually find it on sale for 40-50% off or clip those newspaper coupons!  You can also layer the felt.  The little Scotties have the patterned felt stitched to two layers of black felt.  The beards and hats are two layers.  It gives the ornament structure and stability.  And if you are sewing by machine, try using machine quilting thread.  It's heavier and stronger.
 
See ya soon, my friends.  Have a good evening!

1 comment:

  1. hello there! great ideas :) Can you tell me where you got the tags for these little guys please?

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment, a thought, or a giggle!