Find my Patterns on PatternMart

PatternMart.com

Monday, August 2, 2021

Salsa Time!

 Yowza!  Could it really be August already?  I'm not gonna lie, this heat has been a real killer.  But my tomatoes are liking it.  I have really gotten some big ones this year.  


And the green beans have been crazy!  I froze some of my beans, and some of my tomatoes, because the Mr. chokes on veggies and I cannot eat them fast enough.  I gave some beans to my neighbor and she rewarded me with a bag of Roma tomatoes.  
Romas make the best salsa because they are firm and not too large, and they just aren't the best for slicing.  I knew salsa was in my future, so I was chomping at the bit to get started.  To prep the tomatoes, simply start a pot of water boiling, and when it is a rolling boil, blanch the tomatoes.  I use a handled colander, the kind that look like screen wire.  All the water gets in, none of the tomato-y goodness gets out.  Submerge the tomatoes for a few seconds, and immediately plunge them into ice water.  I use an ice cream bucket, but you can use a pan or bowl.  When the tomatoes have cooled to the touch, the peels will just slide off.  It is actually kinda fun in a creepy sort of way.
Chop the tomatoes to your desired chunkiness.  We like our salsa not as chunky, more creamy, so I put mine in one of those little ninja type blenders.  If you like yours chunkier, simply use a cutting board and dice away.  Then put it in a pot.

I am also growing jalapenos and onions, so Voila!  Instant salsa, right?  Well you do have to do a bit of prep work on these as well.  Cut up the onions to desired size, again, I used the little blender.  The jalapenos are another story.  I learned the hard way, not to cut the peppers up without gloving up. Remove the seeds! Jalapenos are made up of capsaicin and related compounds  that give it heat.  Not only do you feel it in your mouth, it can actually burn your skin.  
The recipe I used can be tweaked for more or less heat.  Make it your own!  Make it saucy or chunky.  Hot or mild.  I added the bell peppers because I had them.  Maybe you don't like cilantro, then leave it out.  

                  Hot Salsa Recipe 

About a gallon of prepared Roma tomatoes

3 cups onions

2 cups jalapeno peppers

1 cup bell pepper

1/4 cup vinegar

1/3 cup cilantro

About a teaspoon of salt

Stir it all together and heat until boiling.  Don't let it boil very long or you will break down your veggies and it will get all foamy.  While you are heating your salsa, sterilize your jars and lids.  You can do this ahead of time and put them in the oven on about 200 degrees until you are ready for them.  I wait until I am getting ready to use them so I don't heat up the house by running the oven.  
Fill your hot, sterilized jars, being careful to leave about an inch of headspace in each jars.  For me, this recipe made about 9 1/2 pints.  Place in a hot water canner for approximately 15 minutes.  

Make sure your jars seal.  There is nothing more exciting when you are finished with all your hard work than hearing that little "POP" let you know it is properly sealed.  This year, for the first time, I have tried the one piece lids.  So far, they have been a success!  And they are easier too!

Tip:  I use a turkey fryer to heat my canner.  You can do it on your stove, but the turkey fryer, out on the porch or deck, does not heat up the house and gets hot quicker.  The disadvantage, of course, is that you have to take things back and forth, but believe me: it is well worth it.  

Another tip:  If you don't have enough tomatoes to make salsa (or a great neighbor who brings them to you) core and peel your tomatoes just as if you were canning them.  Freeze them in gallon bags until you have enough.  You can also freeze onions and jalapenos.  Just chop and freeze.  Put them in small bags so you don't end up with a clump to thaw out.

I am loving these warm summer days, in spite of the heat.  My flowers are loving it as well.  




I hope you are loving summer too!  Let me know what is going on in your neck of the woods!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, a thought, or a giggle!