Find my Patterns on PatternMart

PatternMart.com

Monday, August 1, 2022

What to do with too much cabbage

 As the garden gets in full swing of producing all the tomatoes and zucchini I can handle, I took a peek at my beginning-to-suffer cabbages. I love cabbage: cooked, fried, in soups, and in slaw. But to tell you the truth, I needed a way to “get back to ya later”. So I decided to use my mom’s old standby-Freezer slaw. 

Making it is easy. Simply shred one head of cabbage as you would for making slaw. Add a carrot or two and a green pepper.  I had an orange one so I used that. Add a whole onion and just for fun I added a jalapeño that I just picked from the garden. I used a food processor and put the veggies in a big bowl and salted it down and set it aside. 

Next mix the dressing. Combine 2cups of sugar, one teaspoon of dry mustard, 1 cup of vinegar and a half cup of water in a saucepan simmer until boiling.  Remove from heat and cool completely  

While waiting for your dressing to cook prepare your containers  I used pint mason jars but you can use freezer bags or other sealed containers  

For me, it yielded about five pints. Label and place in the freezer. 


Okay so when I said food processor, this is what I meant. I have had this at least 30 years and my kids tease me about it. But, hey, if it ain’t broken…

My mom made this all the time and it is a great way to add some greens to a meal when the cupboards are bare!  Just thaw and eat!  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, a thought, or a giggle!